Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random Thoughts

Wow, how time flies. I can't believe that school is about to start back. The kids are getting their new clothes and the teachers are setting up their classrooms. It is so hard to believe that it will be August in two days. The summer has been good, but for some much to short.

"Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut..."
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day who had made some ice cream... Butter Pecan. Now say that out loud. Butter Pecan. The word pecan is pronounced in two distinctive ways. But I thought it interesting that even though she pronounced the word (pecahn) one way when describing her ice cream, she pronounced the word (pee can) another way when talking about the nut. I laughed and no that is not a "pee can", a "pee can" is something you set beside your bed. We both laughed and went on our way.

Mr. Toad
I have problem at the house... it is toad. A red toad has taken up residence in on of my ferns. I have taken it across the street, out to the back yard, and even to my neighbors house. I will admit that at first I threw the crazy toad, but now I gently carry it to another spot. This game has been going on for about a month now. I don't want to kill it, and if it comes back after taking if down the street... I will name it.

St Louis
Our trip to St. Louis went so well. The college team that we took really jelled and had a wonderful experience. I am quite thankful for the opportunity to be a part of mission projects like this. We were exposed to a culture that we don't see very often in our own country. We worked in East St. Louis. Like most large metropolitan cities, St. Louis was affected by the "white flight" phenomenon. The needs of the broken families and poverty are tremendous. We learned so much in just a week. One of my greatest joys and challenges was tutoring 5 year old TJ. He was a rambunctious kid with the need to be loved. I learned to patient and love him right where was. I hope that I can apply this when I have my own kids. I am thankful that my parents were and the Lord is patient with me... most of the time, I just don't get it.


"Me & TJ"

1 comment:

Rosie said...

My dad and I had a toad that would come up on our front porch in the summer. I have never liked frogs, toads, or any other creepy crawlies...my dad?! He named the toad Zechariah.