Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Text Messages From God

We have begun a new series in the contemporary service, a two part series that speaks to way we utilize scripture and the role that it plays in our lives. So let me ask you what role does the Bible play in your daily life? I was reading in preparation for this week and was moved by a statement that I read. Now I am paraphrasing, but the statement went something like this; "We carry our Bibles around with us, we might have two or three stashed away some where, but when was the last time we can remember that our lives actually altered by it?"
Now that really kind of startled me... cause I really carry my Bible around with me every day. It is just a part of my life. Of course it is, this what I do. But when was the last time words of the Holy Text actually shaped or reshaped the way I live. Do I allow it access into the deep recesses of my life? Do I allow the ancient words change me and form me into who God wants me to be... How about you?
Are we so diligently carrying our Bibles around and even reading them that we have failed to let them read us? Can we honestly think that I think that because I am in a profession that uses the Bible that my life is some how automatically informed by it? May I/we never miss the point of the Great Message in all of our religious activity and fail to live a life truly informed by it.

1 comment:

The Martins said...

That really hits home, especially this part -
"Are we so diligently carrying our Bibles around and even reading them that we have failed to let them read us? Can we honestly think that I think that because I am in a profession that uses the Bible that my life is some how automatically informed by it?"
dwm