Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Petrified Believers

Have you ever seen a piece of petrified wood? It looks more like stone than wood. I have only seen a couple of pieces of the wood. It looks cool but it is just there. Hard as a brick and not living. Our spiritual life can be this way. I visited with a friend of mine the other day and he talked about wanting to grow more in his faith. This guy is serving part time in a church and feels as though it has all become routine for him. His walk with the Lord seems stale and old. There is very little life in him and he feels as though something is missing. I hate this for him, because I know I can't give an answer that will fix it. Closeness with God is not fixed with an answer or merely manufactured over coffee. I offered support and prayer. I told him that I believed in him and that I believed he was on the right path. It may take time, but the Lord will speak to him as he seeks Him.

Have you ever felt petrified? Kind of like you are shell of your former self? You may look alive but there is nothing in the tank. You look like you have things together but secretly you know stuff is a mess. Others think your life is good but you know it to be a struggle. I am sure you have felt this way at some point in your life, but God walks us through these times to deeper places of trust. Our life with God is ever flowing and never the same. I think what we need is to grasp what Eugene Peterson called, "A Long Obedience in The Same Direction". We must learn to persevere and to continually run to the Lord as we live out the moments entrusted to us.

I am not sure where you are right now, but take some time and draw aside to seek him. Place yourself in a position for God to work. Allow the Lord the space to move in your life. Abide in Him and you will bear fruit. (John 15:5) The Lord will restore your joy and give you a sense of the refreshing life He longs for you to have.

2 comments:

ninaruth said...

Thoughtful post, Stewart! I've definitely "petrified" from burnout before! :-P

What would you think about sharing this post in a resource library for youth pastors? I'd love to be able to share it with the community:
http://www.calledtoyouthministry.com/contribute


Let me know what you think, thanks!!
Nina Ruth
nina@calledtoyouthministry.com

ninaruth said...

Hi Stewart, just checking in to see if we could have your permission to share this post in our resource library for youth pastors?

http://www.calledtoyouthministry.com/contribute


Nina Ruth
nina@calledtoyouthministry.com
www.calledtoyouthministry.com