Wednesday, August 8, 2007

756

Last night Barry Bonds hit the record breaking home run. This is the most cherished of all sports records and last night it was broken. Barry hit the homerun in front of his home crowd, which is where he is most loved. There is no doubt that Barry has a lot of talent, but there are still many unanswered questions about his alleged steroid use. So we will have to see.
Hank Aaron hit #755 during a different era and during a time of much turmoil. Racism was very evident in our country and he gave people a chance to see that all people can excel. Hank Aaron's home run stood for more than just a record and this to me is why I still place more value on Aaron's record than on the Bond's homerun. I can appreciate a record being broken, but at the end of the day I respect the larger meaning of Aaron's homerun record and his life far more.
This challenges me to live my life in a way that is not just totalling numbers, but is a part of the larger picture that is being painted. I want to be a part of something that touches eternity. I am thankful that God enables us to move beyond ourselves and live for the common good of humanity. Jesus calls us not to be self-serving but to serve others with the Love of God.

No comments: