Friday, April 18, 2008

Book Review - Too Busy Not Pray, by Bill Hybels

Over the past couple of weeks I have been rereading a book that I first read in 1993 as a senior in college. I can remember reading it and thinking, Lord help me never put prayer aside. Well, several years later, I picked it up again because I felt the Lord telling me that I had forgotten just how vital prayer is. The book is an easy read. You could easily read it in a week, but I recommend taking time to just walk through it a little at a time. Don't rush through it, rather take you time and truly practice the discipline of prayer as you read it. Certainly, there are many classics written on the topic of prayer, but Hybels in a very simple way reminded me that prayer is the vehicle by which God releases His power to us. We all want to live lives that are characterized by the power of God, but we seldom take the time to pray. So I encourage you over the next five days to pray every day and experience the difference that it will make in your life. Your circumstances may or may not change in five days, but I know that your life will be affected. God will give you a sense of His nearness... and that is just what we need in world that will never satisfy our soul cravings.

No comments: