Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spirituality For All The Wrong Reasons

The other day I was reading an article by Eugene Peterson, Spirituality for all The Wrong Reasons, and it got me thinking about why I follow Christ. Am I seeking the heart of Christ for all that He can give me or am I walking in the reality of a true relationship with Him.

I think I am very selfish in my spirituality. It seems that most of us are for that matter. It seems that most of the time all that we humans think about are ourselves.

Tomorrow I will get up and begin looking for ways I can satisfy this drive I have and then I will seek to satisfy my hunger and then I will try to feel important and manipulate a favorable comment or two and that is not even the half of it.

I guess that it comes down to placing our lives before Jesus and asking Him to give us the humility that He displayed on that curiously glorious day He left the friendly confines of Heaven. We would all be better off, the world and all of us in it, if we thought less of ourselves and more about others. Our spirituality would be more on target if Jesus was more the aim...

No comments: