Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Forgotten Ways of Christmas No.1

As I have been reading the Scripture passages that surround the birth of Christ, several different ideas have just jumped off the text to me. Over my next few post I will share these insights with you and maybe you will find them helpful.

God works in obscurity:
God revealed His plan to the simple no-name shepherds that were tending the flock. These unassuming workers were the ones to observe the angels as they appeared singing of this great Divine act. How stunning it is to know that God did not go to the religious elite in order to reveal the birth of His Son.
Now God could have gone to the Temple with the news, but would they really have believed? I feel quite certain that the texture their heart was such that these "religiousites" would have disregarded the announcement and gone on with business as usual.
This challenges me to be open when God decides to show up in my life. There is no rhyme or reason to the way God works. God can and does show up where He pleases. As I consider different episodes in Scripture, it seems to me that He likes to appear in the obscure places of life. An experience may seem to just be routine or mundane, but quickly it can become the stage for the Divine. I do not want to miss out on these times of grace in my life, therefore I pray that I will be filled with eager anticipation for the presence of the Lord.

Consider:
How has God revealed Himself or His plans in the Scriptures?
How has God revealed Himself or His plans to you in the past?
Pray that you would have a spirit of openness and expectation as you go through your day.

No comments: