Friday, July 27, 2007

Spiritually Speaking

So I have been reading this book and it has been very challenging. The books title is, Ordering Your Private World, by Gordon MacDonald. It is a classic that has been re-released. Early in the book MacDonald asks the question, "How are you doing spiritually?", which stopped me dead on the page. I needed that question. It is a pointed question and very helpful, because I could not get around it and I had to deal with the state of my hidden world. I have been doing well, but this put a new twist on it. Gordon says that our lives are spiritual and just merely logging in a "quite time" is not going to cut it. We must allow God to order our private world in a way that completely renovates our hearts. I am still reading the book and have been significantly challenged by each page. I encourage you to grab one from Amazon.com and begin the process now.
It is so easy to be defined by our outer props. We are known too often by what we do or how active we are. It seems that in my life I have easily allowed myself to be defined by the multiple hats that I wear. How about you? Are you known for you job? Do you consider yourself successful or a failure because of the outer crutches you have?
In your spiritual life, if all the "stuff" was taken away, what would be there to sustain you. I have to ask myself this question and remember that it is the Lord that sustains my life. Habakkuk 3:17-19 reminds me that all of life is not 5th Avenue.

"How are you doing spiritually?" Gordon MacDonald

No comments: