Thursday, December 3, 2009

December 3 - Hope Is In The Air

I love that Christmas most often stirs within us a deep sense of hope. There is something about this time of the year that I find to be most hopeful but this is not a new emotion for this season. In fact when the prophet Isaiah recorded his great words of prophecy concerning the arrival of the promised deliverer- the Messiah, the people were in captivity. Isaiah wrote of a great light!

How great is the gift of light when we are in darkness? I think of someone coming home and seeing a light that has been left and it brings sense of hope. Personally, I can remember traveling home from college and a light being left on for me when I arrived at the house. I also remember when I would go hunting with my dad and as it got dark I remember being scared. Oh, how the light of my dad's flashlight would bring a sense of peace to the unsettled spirit in my young heart.

When was the last time you were in the dark and light was provided to help you in the matter? Now, it really can be in any type of situation. But one great truth we see readily during this season is simply: Jesus is the light of the world and he longs to be light for each of us. Since Jesus is portrayed as the light of world tells me that he comes to bring hope to the world.

Reflect on this thought over the next few days: the fact that Jesus came to bring hope to the world. If the present reality is bleak or uncertain for you then know that it does not have to be the final definition of your finances, your marriage, or your career. Jesus is hope for you and for me. I need to know this and maybe just maybe you do to.

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of shadow of death a light has dawned."
Isaiah 9:2
For further reading:
Isaiah 9:1-7

No comments: